South Consulting has extensive experience in the area of political economy analysis, policy research and effective programming, specifically in relation to good governance, democracy, political economy of development, public service delivery and poverty alleviation. We have developed both data collection tools (check lists, focus group discussion instruments and programme activity and output report formats) and data management systems using information technology.
- Providing analysis to assist in establishing benchmarks for service delivery in the public sector;
- Establishing indicators (and the means of verification) for programme impact evaluation; and
- Targeting strategies and programme planning.
- 2020 – 2021 – South Consulting was contracted by the Westminster Foundation For Democracy (WFD) to conduct a comprehensive participatory primary research focusing on inclusive political participation and socio-economic development in Kenya. The study, focusing on the Cost of politics in Kenya, analysed the expenditure of individuals who contested for political office at Senate, National Assembly and County Assembly levelin Kenya in 2017. https://www.costofpolitics.net/reports/east-africa/view/37693cfc748049e45d87b8c7d8b9aacd/
- 2017 to 2019 – South Consulting was contracted by DAI to provide Political Economy Analysis updates for Kenya and examining implications for DFID’s Deepening Democracy Programme. South Consulting provided Country level PEA analysis; and PEA on both the 2017 general elections; and post-election analysis. The analysis focused on key political developments after the elections and implications for democratic governance.
- In 2017, South consulting was commissioned by Oxford Policy Management Ltd (OPM), to conduct the Political Economy Analysis of the Extractive Sector in Kenya (Oil and Gas) and examining how devolution is affecting the extractives. The assignment also identified and analyzed the political economy challenges facing the extractives. Policy solutions were presented.
- Political Economy Analysis of the 2017 Elections and DANIDA’s Country Strategy: Contracted by NIRAS to undertake Political Economy Analysis of the 2017 Elections and the implications for DANIDA’s programming. NIRAS contracted South Consulting’s associate to conduct an analysis of the 2017 elections and identify key implications for DANIDA’s Country Strategy.
- In 2015/16, South, contracted by SIDA to undertake a project on Political Economy/Power Analysis in Urban establishments in the context of devolution in Kenya. This was a review study undertaken to analyze how devolution, among other things, has impacted on power relations in the urban sector in Kenya. This provided South with deeper understanding of devolution sector in Kenya including the intricate interaction between the national and county authorities.
- South was contracted by Forum Syd to establish baseline survey indicators for the governance programme. This also required to examine how devolution is impacting on local spaces for citizens engagement and participation in decision making under devolution.